Fr. Luke M. Powers, OSA
Luke M. Powers was born in Northampton, Massachusetts and entered the Augustinian novitiate in 1905. He attended Villanova before continuing his studies at St. Monica’s College in Rome. While studying at St. Monica’s, he became well acquainted with Pope Pius X, who was canonized by the church in 1954. Fr. Powers was ordained at St. Peter’s in Rome in 1912. His first assignment was in South Philadelphia and from there he went to Villanova (PA) University where he taught philosophy and theology for a number of years. He came to St. Matthew Parish in Flint where he was pastor from 1929 until he resigned in 1966 due to ill health. The school that proudly bears his name opened in the fall of 1970.
Powers Catholic High School
is a private, Roman Catholic, co-educational high school located in Flint, Michigan. Powers Catholic was established in 1970 under the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lansing and bears of name of Luke M. Powers, a Villanova University educated pastor in Flint from 1929 to 1966.
After 40 years at its original location along the northern border of Flint, Powers Catholic relocated to downtown Flint for the 2013-14 school year. The new location sits among 57 acres of beautiful, wooded property on the former site of the Michigan School for the Deaf and Blind with historic Fay Hall serving as the main academic building. More than $15-million was spent restoring Fay Hall and adding a 75,000-square-foot addition containing a gymnasium, chapel, library, theater and media center.
The stately Fay Hall, built in 1913, now houses Powers Catholic classrooms and has been regally restored to much of its original design. An abundance of natural light and beautiful views provide an outstanding learning environment for our classrooms. The sweeping lawns in front and behind the building provide outdoor commons for class picnics, social gatherings, and recreational activities.
Powers Catholic claims a tradition of diversity and has worked for decades to enable qualified students from all over the region to attend. Powers devotes over $700,000 annually to financial aid assistance for socio-economic diversity at the school.
Currently, Powers Catholic draws students from 60 different schools in 8 different counties (Genesee, Shiawassee, Lapeer, Livingston, Tuscola, Saginaw, and Oakland). Prominent K-8 partner schools include: St. Pius X (Flint), St. John Vianney (Flint), Holy Rosary (Flint), St. Robert (Flushing), Holy Family (Grand Blanc), St. John the Evangelist (Fenton), St. Mary (Mt. Morris), and Bishop Kelly (Lapeer).
QUICK FACTS ON POWERS
Type of School
Private Roman Catholic
College Preparatory, grades 9-12
(Under direction of the Diocese of Lansing)
Monday – Friday: 8:15am – 3:06pm
34 faculty, one Priest
A chapel, six science labs, two computer labs, two art rooms, a music room, two gymnasiums, auditorium, weight room, four adjacent athletic fields, and a Library Media Center
Advanced ED/North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
Rory Mattar ’76, President
Sally Bartos Principal
Andrew Schmit, Travis Perry '97, Assistant Principals
Brian Sheeran ’97, Athletic Director
Valaria Sunday ’02 Director, Admissions
Ken Pelc Director of Guidance & College Counseling